Can we merge these three Q&A's (they are all ~5 years old) together?
- What to do with questions whose OP hasn't visited the site for a long time?
- What to do when users have been inactive for months and their question remain open?
- What to do with abandoned questions?
Other ones I've just discovered on July 31, 2017 but not yet reviewed:
- Changes to how we close abandoned questions
- Closing abandoned questions is harder than it should be.
- Can moderators confirm abandoned questions should be closed TL, not NARQ?
- Another bit on abandoned questions, but specifically good ones with good answers
- Why don't we have "required/requested input not provided" close reason for abandoned questions?
- Time Frame of Abandoned/Old Questions
- Question deleted as abandoned although I didn't abandon it
PART II - Feature Request to Close Vote
Along that vein can I make a feature-request to add
abandoned question as a reason for close votes?
NOTE: Answer I posted below diminishes the need for this request as an "Auto-Delete" feature-request for "Abandoned Questions" is actively being sought for Unanswered Questions on EOL Ubuntu versions.
Aggressive criteria for close votes:
- Question is unanswered - AND -
- OP hasn't signed on in > 6 months - OR -
- OP has not responded to comment queries / suggestions made > 6 months ago
Generous criteria for close votes:
- Unanswered Question is about EOL Ubuntu version - AND -
- OP has not repled to comments posted > 2 years ago
There seemed to be interest in abandoned question close vote ~5 years ago here:
A tool / script to help find abandoned questions was written (~5 years ago) here:
Ironically the question in meta of closing abandoned AU questions seems to have been abandoned itself!
Justification (Response to comments)
I spent many hours yesterday going through the "Unanswered Questions" list with the goal of shortening it. A long list of unanswered questions may give the false impression that people in AU aren't paying attention or don't care.
It's futile answering questions when the OP is no longer around to flag your answer as correct. Additionally, you often need follow up information which the non-existent OP cannot provide.
All three of the potential question merge candidates ask the same thing ie, What to do when OP is no longer around to respond to comments or accept an answer?
The three proposed merge candidates have different answers and you need to read all three Q&A's to get a full picture. Merging them together simplifies this process. Some answers say an "Abandoned Question by OP" that has answers is still valuable. I agree with that in most cases as it will help others. However an abandoned question with no answers should qualify for close voting.