Just curious. After reading about the infamous "Boat Programming" question, I wondered if anything like that has existed on Ask Ubuntu.
Meme: "pulling a terdon"
Originator: terdon ♦
Background: Our dear friend (and moderator) terdon inadvertently assisted a poor user in deleting his home directory. Terdon was quick to own up to his mistake and as a friendly gesture, we refer to an "oops" moment as "pulling a terdon".
Meme: Zanna is awesome!
Background: Well, Zanna is awesome. That's it. We can't state that often enough. And we can't refrain from starring it.
Originator: George Edison
Background: yonder over on the Ask Ubuntu General Room, we love our bacon. It is delicious. It is awesome. It is the pinnacle of perfect foods. It also tends to attract a lot of stars.
Meme: The Starboard
Originator: Ask Ubuntu Chat
(yes, that last one is a single dot)
Background: The absolute easiest place to get the Outspoken badge is right here in Ask Ubuntu General, because literally anything will get starred just because it exists. This has led to many debates about removing the star board, because it serves no more purpose than the generic transcript.
Meme: Chaos / Darkness (and other joinings of these two)
Originator: Thomas Ward
Background: In recent days, one of our moderators, Thomas Ward took some D&D tests to determine his alignment, and ended up Chaotic Neutral/Evil. He's since taken a liking to the terms "Chaos" and "Darkness" in regular greetings, or when doing some moderator-ly actions. A regular greeting, in place of "Hello" or "Good day" from Thomas, is "Good Chaos to thee" or "Good Darkness to thee" or similar, and is mostly the origin of this meme. Due to the origin of this being one of our Moderators, Thomas is sometimes called "The Dark One" or "The Chaotic One" solely because of the adoption of these terms in regular messages from him.
Examples of Originator Invocations:
- "Good Chaos to thee!" (sometimes written with Darkness instead of Chaos)
- "A great Darkness has swept through the flags queue, and cleared most of it away with Flames of Evil and Darkness. Darkness Moderator returns to the shadows from whence he came"
- Serg: "And Good Darkness to you as well"
- Rinzwind: "all hail Chaos!"
Examples of Community invocations:
And just because I should probably show these, some typical community responses to the "Good Chaos to thee" greetings:
"rare to see seth be such a nubcake" -- Originator
Background: Our Glorious
Leader Moderator Seth made a mistake, prompting edwinksl to call him a nubcake. The meme then spread to be a Seth-specific meme, but then jumped to other people in time, and is now a badge of honor in the Ask Ubuntu General Room.
Meme: Getting Eliah'd
Originator: FEichinger (??)
Background: Eliah Kagan is known (and loved) for posting long and well researched answers on both main and meta. His answers are so long and well researched that you don't bother disagreeing with Eliah, you just admit he has you beat. If you are writing an answer when Eliah posts one, there's no point. He will have covered everything you were going to say. (all of this in the best way possible)
- I almost don't bother to answer a meta question because I know Eliah's answer will come and it's gonna be way better than mine. I feel people accept my answer out of sympathy XD
- I like to think we could all just abandon meta and have Eliah answer everything. Would have the same effect.
- That was the point at which I started telling myself "Eliah posted. Just stop. You can't win this one."
- Yay, an Eliah answer.
- With all due respect, you have not applied this line of thought elsewhere. You've answered non-Ubuntu-specific questions here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here, just for starters. - Eliah Kagan
- Thanks. I channeled my inner Eliah there a bit.
Meme: systemd is evil
Background: systemd is not generally well-liked by everyone in the room. In fact, due to its invasive nature, systemd is generally well-hated. It is used as the brunt of jokes and blamed for all things wrong in Ubuntu.
- "Glares in systemd's corner..."
- "Systemd just kills all of our hopes and dreams."
- "I have a good reason for screaming: systemd"
- "when in doubt, blame systemd :)"
- "systemd can make your bed, cure the common cold, and perfect nuclear fission. Or so we're told."
- "WHAT? SYSTEMD CHANGES LIGHTBULBS NOW? IS THERE NO END TO THIS INSANITY?"
- "Did someone just use "fix" and "systemd" in the same sentence?"
- "Oh how I hate the GUTS out of systemd! It's a flaming pile of garbage straight from /dev/null."
- "Because systemd.™"
- "Cue the glue whose hue gave Sue her due."
- "never gonna hue you up, never gonna hue you down, never gonna hue around, and hue you"
- "Oh say can you hue . . .by the dawns early lights"
- "Every time you say "hue," a v20 owner buys an iPhone."
- "Roses are red. Violets are blue. HUE HUE HUE HUE HUE."
- "I have a feeling that if you had written "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" you would have named the child Cindy Lou Hue."