I'm not asking why a specific answer get downvoted but specifically why would you normally downvote an answer.
This should help newbies understanding why their answers were downvoted even though nobody commented.
My reasons of downvoting:
- Technically inaccuracies (this doesn't include typos).
- Missing the specifics of the question.
- The answer has nothing to do with the question.
- Link only answers.
- The answer doesn't have proper warnings about what it is being done. Or poor explanation why something dangerous (
rm -rand similar) should be done.
- The question is unanswerable in their current form. Any post attempting to answer those questions, offering specific solutions, will not answer the question. Answering questions that don't offer more details that "don't work" could potentially damage the system. You should ask for clarification instead in comments.
- Depending my mood or votes left.
If you want you could add your reasons to upvoting answers. Note, this is limited to answers.