With the recent acquisition of 10K reputation I've seen people flagging NAA wrong answers... this is not what the Not an Answer flag is for, for that is the Down Vote button! In which cases NAA should be used (OMG, I can't believe I have to explain this):
When you should flag:
- If the answer asks the asker about more information, is Not an Answer.
- If the answer is replying someones comment, is Not an Answer (NAA).
- If the answer is a "me too", "thanks", "u sux", etc... is Not an Answer.
- If the answer has some rant, you removed the rant and still doesn't make something near an answer, is Not an Answer.
- If it's barely anymore than a link and the question doesn't ask for links
- If it does not attempt to answer the question, is Not an Answer.
When you should not flag:
- When the answer gives exactly what the question asks for
- If the post is a halfbaked answer that might not solve OP's question, downvote it
- If the answer is somehow ranty you edit the rant and still is coherent, then just edit it (and vote it if it's right/wrong)
- When the answer is plainly wrong, downvote it. (if you have read one of this two posts see the reason below)
- When the answers is dangerous, comment that is dangerous (I normally say the same with people that jump of the gun (or right off the bat) say to remove
/var/lib/dpkg/lock) and there is safer methods or edit the answer and add a note that the method could be dangerous. (if you have read one of this two posts see the reason above)
That would be the best.
The below note
About wrong and dangerous answers that should not be flagged, lets put it this way:
That was a flag in SO. I don't know if moderators in AU allow NAA flags on wrong answers (as I don't remember to flag any "wrong" answer as NAA), I belive that either they should be edited, voted, commented but not flagged.