A dev. Likes Haskell. Abusing Compose key.
Ubuntu is promoted as a newbie-friendly distro, so sometimes I'm helping peoples here, and even have it somewhere. But I'm a Archlinux user, and if you're a developer, you may consider moving there (note: it is definitely not newbie-friendly), because of:
- Latest versions of everything. Opposite to what people think, versions freeze, being practiced by Ubuntu (especially LTS), in common usage (read as "not in servers") doesn't help to stability much (that's why KDE Neon appeared though we had Kubuntu).
- A built-in and easy to use system to build'n'install packages from a source code, and a user repository with such packages (i.e. AUR).
- (optional) faster boot. I blamed systemd for booting blazingly fast, but now that Ubuntu moved to systemd either, and (I still having Ubuntu on one partition) it still boots 3-4 times slower, I dunno. I researched in the past (before moving to systemd) the reasons, to no avail.
Things you might want after considering Archlinux fully installed and configured.
- Install vaapi for your drivers, and chromium with vaapi patchAUR (firefox video acceleration unfortunately yet to come,
but you might still be interested in firefox because of pentadactyland don't forget qutebrowser which is even better than the dropped Firefox+Pentadactyl ever was).
- Enable middle mouse click scroll for gtk3 based apps.
sudo systemctl enable systemd-resolvedto enable DNS cache.
Member for 5 years, 6 months
36 profile views
Last seen Aug 31 at 10:05
- Ask Ubuntu 2.4k 2.4k 11 gold badge1919 silver badges2727 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 2.2k 2.2k 55 gold badges3838 silver badges6666 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 1.3k 1.3k 33 gold badges1717 silver badges3232 bronze badges
- Super User 384 384 55 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- Emacs 259 259 22 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 38 Now that I have Firefox 49 or higher, how do I watch Netflix?
- 37 Check if a condition is false
- 34 How to find which serial port is in use?
- 33 How to find which serial port is in use?
- 30 Determine target ISA extensions of binary file in Linux (library or executable)
- 25 How can I set mouse sensitivity, not just mouse acceleration?
- 17 Running sh script: «Permission denied» despite the executable bit and root rights
- View more network posts →