There are quite a few tags on Ask Ubuntu that are basically fall into one of the following categories;
Tags that describe the problem and are largely pointless (since the question describes the problem).
For example: lid being used to describe closing a laptop.
Tags that mean different things from application to application.
For example: offline being used to describe using an application offline, backups, and upgrading.
Tags that mean roughly the same thing from application to application, but are otherwise never really going to be used to filter questions.
For example: interface being used to describe both network interfaces and user interfaces.
the proposal for cleanup
Since the primary use for tags is to be able to differentiate between questions and filter your favourite questions, tags that fall into any of the above categories are better off being burned.
As is the correct process for a post like this, post each tag or group of related tags in individual answers to this question so that they can be voted on accordingly, once enough votes have been reached for a particular tag or group of related tags, they will be burned.
rules of participation
- Wait until a suggestion below has reached around 10 upvotes*
- Please, fix as many issues you see in the post. If a post needs a new tag, drop by chat so we can create it. If the current tags are no relevant remove them.
- If the post should be closed, please flag/vote to close.
- Try to answer the post if it's answerable.
- Behave as if you are doing a critical revision of the value of the question.
- Most of the worse tags band together, take note of other possible bad tags while you are cleaning.
* this may adjust depending on how many people participate in voting during the nomination phase
This is very time consuming. Be sure to be relaxed and try only 5 questions a day, the collective of all users should be enough to do most of actions within a day of labor.
a plea for sanity
As your suggestion is burninated or fixed, it would be good if you'd remove the answer associated with the tag cleanup that was actioned to keep this post nice and clean and obvious what work is outstanding for the people who're voting. Update the list below to indicate which tags have been burned.
Tags burned: access adaptor import export
Tags cleaned: example-tag-1 example-tag-2 example-tag-3 example-tag-4