I am thinking we should have a community blog for Ask Ubuntu. Yes, I know I am poking the older discussion of the same topic.
The reason why I am bringing this about is because, recently I took up the task of blogging monthly updates of Ask Ubuntu on the Ubuntu planet. As I just started writing the next post, I started wondering why I am doing this updates on my blog instead of doing it on a standalone blog for Ask Ubuntu. Surely, that is the best way to go about?
Having a separate blog for Ask Ubuntu makes the monthly updates more meaningful. It is much better to be on a "official" blog than on some random guy's personal blog. The blog could also be used for other purposes like highlighting awesome users through interviews and awesome question, amongst others.
I wouldn't want to consider our blog competing against other well established blogs like OMG!Ubuntu! and Webupd8 because our scope is much different than theirs. Ours is about Ask Ubuntu and its community and not the entire Ubuntu universe itself. It makes having a separate blog all the more necessary.
Some of the issues that comes to my mind at the moment:
- Blog might not be updated regularly because
- Not enough contributors
- The contributors' interest and motivation level might drop off over time
- The blog can be a perfect way to showcase our community
- We can use it highlight great content produced in the site
- We can also use it to highlight and propagate our community decisions over a wider audience.
So, given the above situation, would you think it is ideal for us to have a community blog?