We have 51 questions tagged frequency. This seems like an extremely general, cross-cutting concept that isn't useful as a tag. However, most questions tagged frequency are questions about CPU frequency. The tag has no tag wiki.
We also have a cpufreq tag. Some questions currently have both tags. It seems to me that cpufreq could (and thus far has been) used to cover the entire concept of CPU frequency, though in theory it is more specific than that. Its tag wiki excerpt currently says:
CPU Frequency, or CPU Frequency Scaling. This is implemented in the Linux kernel, and in versions since 3.4 use an ondemand governor by default, which saves power by using as much as is needed.
A couple frequency questions are about CPU frequency but use the tag in a broader way, or are about something similar to but not the same as CPU frequency:
- Setting intel GPU limits in Ubuntu 17.04 no longer works is about CPU frequency but also GPU frequency.
- How can I change the frequency of the RAM, and also know its value from Ubuntu? is about RAM frequency.
A significant minority of frequency questions aren't about CPU frequency or anything related to it:
- Can Simon's voice recognition understand frequency instead of words? and Filter high-pitched sound on live audio are about pitch.
- Finding the frequency of CAN (controller area network) send and receive messages is about CAN.
- Ubuntu phone (Aquarius 4.5) change of UMTS frequency is about UMTS bands (for cellular phones).
- Wifi connection deauthenticated by router and How to find which WiFi frequencies are being used the most near by? are about Wi-Fi.
- Change Logitech Unifying Reciever Frequency Band? is about a wireless mouse (and interference from Wi-Fi).
- Can I sync a folder once a day rather than immediately is about how often a backup is performed.
- How to check current monitor frequency?, cannot do anything after booting ubuntu 12.04 lts , problem with resolution, and Frequency out of range ATI HD 4670 are about monitors (or graphics cards).
What should we do with the frequency tag? Should we keep it? If so, should it retain is currently very general meaning? Should we remove it from questions that aren't about CPU frequency and make it a synonym of cpufreq? Or should we edit it out of the posts that currently have it, replacing it with cpufreq or other tags where applicable?
My inclination is to think it's fine to cpufreq on any post about CPU frequency, and that the frequency tag need not exist. But I'm not sure.
cpuif they mean CPU frequency. Or they could have
frequencyfor some another question.
cpufreqis supposed to refer to frequency scaling and not just cpu frequency. kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/admin-guide/pm/…