Unix, Linux, System and Network Security.
Do a little Cyber-victimology. What OS do Botnet nodes run? Where do viruses run?
...and it came to pass that all Things were replaced by tiny Computers pretending to be Things, and these tiny Computers ran Software, and it was Bad Software. The End.
Learned to program in 1967 (Algol-60), multiple architectures, multiple languages and assemblers, got into security while learning Perl (complained about Joe accounts in corporate NIS, was remembered when company had breakin), stayed because security is fun. Never ran Windows. CDC G-21, IBM 1401, Univac 1108w/Exec II and VIII, DECSystem-10, -20, VAXen, Unix boxes, QNX, Amiga, Linux.
Reasoning techniques: WTF?, RTFM, Zoom/Mooz, enblobification, WhatIfIBelievedThat-WhatWouldIHaveToDisbelieve?, boxes and tubes (tubes connect boxes that act/fail, open box to see more boxes and tubes), open the box that fails for examination. Keep going until you find the box that is good on only the input side. Fix that one.
Dual Boot advice:
I suggest you read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFI . One will have the Answer. Read the others to understand that one.
# do this once sudo adduser $USER systemd-journal # add to ~/.bash_aliases or ~/.bashrc # tsjou "18-11-01 01:55:28" for journalctl --since alias tsjou="date '+%y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S'" alias jc=journalctl # record beginning for journalctl alias jstart="JSTART_TIME=\"\$(tsjou)\"" alias jend="journalctl --since=\"\$JSTART_TIME\"" alias jc5="journalctl --since=\"-5 minutes\"" alias jc10="journalctl --since=\"-10 minutes\"" alias jcnet="journalctl -b 0 _SYSTEMD_UNIT=NetworkManager.service"
https://github.com/waltinator/pathlld.git - Bash script to answer "Why can't I read/write that file?"
https://github.com/waltinator/net-o-matic.git - Watch for (WiFi) network going down, then do a user-specified thing to fix it.
- Ask Ubuntu 31.2k 31.2k 1919 gold badges5252 silver badges8787 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 2.6k 2.6k 11 gold badge1313 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- Information Security 341 341 11 silver badge66 bronze badges
- Retrocomputing 299 299 11 silver badge33 bronze badges
- Movies & TV 211 211 22 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 58 Can you set passwords in .ssh/config to allow automatic login?
- 49 How can I see background process in Ubuntu? And kill unnecessary processes?
- 40 .sh specifying extension?
- 37 Bash history handling with multiple terminals
- 32 Is there a previous-directory variable?
- 29 using locate on an encrypted partition
- 28 Is there an easy way to replace duplicate files with hardlinks?
- View more network posts →