Our good old Amithkk has made a IRC bot that adds RSS feeds for tags in IRC channels. Currently, the bot servers the #juju and #ubuntu-app-devel rooms for juju and application-development with plans to add community to #ubuntu-community-team as well.
When I first brought this up with dpm, he was quite interested to do the same. And, going through our Trello board, Marco Ceppi seems to have wanting to do the same with juju room. I then requested Amithkk to consider building a bot and he has duly delivered a bot that seems to handle the task quite efficiently.
Now, would it be good that we closely monitor the rooms with RSS feed added and see how the users react with a bot spewing links to Ask Ubunbu questions? Perhaps, if it works out well, we can probably extend this to other relevant tags and rooms as well.
I am more than interested in knowing what Jorge Castro, Marco Ceppi and the other moderators have to say regarding this.
Just a quick glance about what this is about and what I think might be good and bad about this:
A quick intro
What this means is that, if there is a new question tagged with juju, then a link to the question will be posted in the juju IRC channel. If we are to extend this to other tags, we can get the bot to do the same with other tags as well.
- Allows the relevant people to answer questions in their field of expertise.
- It could benefit both the users who might want precise and accurate responses.
- Experts would know what users are looking for and might adapt their tutorials to include that.
- The users of channels might be bogged down by too many questions if the tag was high volume.
- They might not be interested in Ask Ubuntu after all.
This is how each chat message look like:
twobottux> auappdev: Problems with simple media player tutorial <https://askubuntu.com/questions/139420/problems-with-simple-media-player-tutorial>