As of February 2 2023, there is a ban on the use of AI-generated content on Ask Ubuntu.
This ban involves:
- Deletion of all AI-generated content, whether acknowledged as such or not
- Moderator warning email for initial occurrence
- The usual escalation of penalties for further infractions
Grammar and Spell Checking Tools: Note that it is the moderator team's opinion that the use of Grammarly and spell checking tools to correct grammar errors and spelling errors is not AI-generated content. Using those tools to improve your own written posts' grammar or to correct spelling errors is not forbidden; however, we are specifically barring the use of ChatGPT and other AIs as the sole source of generating answer content.
- Community Consultation: On December 19th 2022, Community discussion commenced on AU Meta concerning our position on AI-generated content. This discussion attracted considerable Community interest and involvement.
- Temporary Ban: On January 5th 2023, while Community discussion was taking place, there was a considerable upsurge in the number of of AI-generated answers and spam messages posted on Ask Ubuntu. To get control of this upsurge of incorrect, nonworking, and unvetted content in answers, a temporary ban on AI-generated answers was instituted. This ban continued until February 2, 2023, when a permanent ban was instituted.
- SE Enforcement Guidelines: On May 29 2023 SE issued a set of enforcement guidelines which prohibited most of the Ask Ubuntu interventions related to AI-generated content. This action, along with several other factors, lead to the general strike by Moderators and curators of SE.
- Strike Resolution and new Policy: On August 6th 2023, with the strike resolved, a new AI Policy was jointly created by SE staff and Moderators.