I have discovered a link in a users answer, where the link is directed to a website that is no longer available. How would you indicate that link as broken without the ability to leave a comment?

  • 1
    You're not at all far from the magic 50 points, after which you can comment freely.
    – TRiG
    Aug 20, 2014 at 12:12
  • 4
    you can now! you can now! comment! feel tha paawor! Aug 22, 2014 at 8:10
  • xD does the irish jig
    – Miphix
    Aug 26, 2014 at 16:51

2 Answers 2


In this order:

  • Fix it, if you can. You can't comment but you can edit...
    But just fix the link, don't add commentary to their post.
  • Find somebody in General Chat who can leave a comment
  • And if the whole answer hinges on that link working, flag it for a mod (or improve it, if you can).
  • Not sure about the order, but definitely the way to go!
    – don.joey
    Aug 20, 2014 at 15:43

So long as the question or answer does not already have a pending suggested edit, and the question is not on a meta site, you can include a link to an archived copy of the document in a suggested edit to the question or answer.

  1. Copy the linked URL.
  2. Visit the Internet Archive.
  3. In the "Wayback Machine" section, paste the URL into the input field and activate the "Browse History" button.
  4. Try snapshots of the document until you find an appropriate one.
  5. Copy the URL.
  6. Edit the question or answer and paste in the archived URL.

Once you have fixed broken links this way in 25 different posts, you should qualify for commenting privileges.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .