I have discovered a link in a users answer, where the link is directed to a website that is no longer available. How would you indicate that link as broken without the ability to leave a comment?
In this order:
- Fix it, if you can. You can't comment but you can edit...
But just fix the link, don't add commentary to their post.
- Find somebody in General Chat who can leave a comment
- And if the whole answer hinges on that link working, flag it for a mod (or improve it, if you can).
So long as the question or answer does not already have a pending suggested edit, and the question is not on a meta site, you can include a link to an archived copy of the document in a suggested edit to the question or answer.
- Copy the linked URL.
- Visit the Internet Archive.
- In the "Wayback Machine" section, paste the URL into the input field and activate the "Browse History" button.
- Try snapshots of the document until you find an appropriate one.
- Copy the URL.
- Edit the question or answer and paste in the archived URL.
Once you have fixed broken links this way in 25 different posts, you should qualify for commenting privileges.