Since Natty Narwhal, which I found to be an elegant and beautiful new interface after a few tweaks*, I have found subsequent versions of Ubuntu to be frustratingly disfunctional.
Quite unfortunately, there seems to be a fashion of removing functionality in an attempt to make GUI's more ‘discoverable’, but ‘discoverability’ is a one-off issue that can be achieved without making software unproductive by educating users with a stunning walk-through showcase demonstration or interactive tutorial. This is how good strategy games make themselves ‘discoverable’, without sacrificing functionality.
Later versions of Unity have been too repulsive for me to upgrade from Natty, but although Gnome 3's shell now looks far more appealing than later versions of Unity, Gnome 3 also has huge issues.
Evaluating Ubuntu-GNOME, so far I've found these issues:
- No appmenu by default.
- Nautilus has significantly regressed. (Also applies in Unity)
- System Settings is disfunctional. (Also applies in Unity)
- No world map of timezones and daylight. (Also applies in Unity)
- Haven't yet found a way of customising the date format to RFC 3339.
- More windows refuse to maximise. (Also applies in Unity)
- (This list isn't complete, still evaluating...)
The first 3 points are each show-stoppers for me. I'm just not yet managing to find good enough reasons to
upgrade downgrade from Natty.
* Tweaks for Unity in Natty: remove overlay-scrollbars; reduce launcher icon size; change reveal mode to top-left to avoid irritating accidental reveal whilst keeping speed.
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Member for 8 years, 10 months
0 profile views
Last seen Feb 16 '14 at 5:49
- Stack Overflow 1.1k 1.1k 11 gold badge1111 silver badges2323 bronze badges
- Ask Ubuntu 777 777 22 gold badges77 silver badges2121 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 609 609 11 gold badge77 silver badges1313 bronze badges
- Super User 564 564 55 silver badges1515 bronze badges
- Electrical Engineering 389 389 33 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 34 Remove a certain line from Bash history file
- 23 Do ‘wiperless’ potentiometers exist?
- 22 How do I change Firefox's `about:config` from a shell script?
- 21 How do I change the date format in Gnome 3 shell?
- 17 Why is RAID 1+6 not a more common layout?
- 15 Android - How do I dynamically set the package name at build time for an Open-source project?
- 11 Please include how to quote backticks in inline code in Markdown editing help
- View more network posts →