I am bringing this to the attention of the community as I am seeing a lot of questions on this topic. I myself have answered quite a few questions on this topic. See all these links:-
- Why ubuntu is not detecting my AMD Radeon graphics?
- Which proprietary driver should I activate?
- ATI Catalyst vs Distro Compatibility Question
- Uninstalling "previous install of the fglrx driver"
- What video driver should I download?
- How to install the proprietary AMD graphic driver(fglrx) correctly via the AMD website?
- AMD Catalyst Driver installer failing at DKMS
- Can't install ATI proprietary drivers in 12.10
Hungry for more of such questions? Check out these tags and you will find a lot more :- https://askubuntu.com/questions/tagged/ati and https://askubuntu.com/questions/tagged/fglrx
You must have noted that several of these questions are asking about the installation or troubleshooting and other similar issues. Some of the answers say about installing Synaptic, some about installing directly from terminal, some may refer to a certain PPA(like xorg-edgers) and some others like mine say about getting from the AMD website itself. This way of suggesting lot of methods to install itself confuses some users and they come up with questions like this https://askubuntu.com/questions/375727/cannot-get-ati-drivers-installed !
Also as a newbie to Ubuntu(I am just nearly 3 months old with regards to Ubuntu!), I feel my greatest problem with Ubuntu was getting the fglrx driver installed so that my graphic card would be correctly detected. From personal experience itself I must add that, that problem was made 'greatest' because of a missing centralized question in AskUbuntu on which every newbie's eyes would be caught, on that topic.
So I suppose we need a canonical question about fglrx drivers. But does the community suppose so?
I just came to know that the community already has a canonical type of question for installation process!! See here :- What is the correct way to install proprietary ATI Catalyst Video Drivers (fglrx) directly from AMD? Way to go AU!!
So, now, does the community need a canonical question that answers common fglrx problems? Like low graphics mode, unity crash etc. in one question?
I see that these questions here are answering some common problems :-
- How to fix "The system is running in low-graphics mode" error?
- Unity doesn't load, no Launcher, no Dash appears
Do you guys know of some more common problems with fglrx like the above ones? If yes, then post them below....