Lets check this:
Well, someone see the problem? I do. The version specific tags and a bunch of overly general tags are overwhelming us. We are not asking ourself:
Who would filter using it? Who would think this is an expertise area? (source)
and are we creating a bunch of tags that most users doesn't have an expertise. The problem with removing tags is... they are way too many! For some reason I found this in a very old MetaQ:
I don't see how user friendliness enters into it. We're not requiring users know the right tags before they submit questions. Community members can and will add and modify tags as appropriate, just as on other SE sites. The tags aren't for the people asking the question, they're for people answering it, and for people in the future looking for answers to similar questions. Nicholas Knight Aug 1 '10 at 2:54
Which leads me to think, the problem with the tags are that old oaks users don't know or don't care about tags. This will lead to what we've been seeing with the general quality of the site. So the ones in the line of fire:
- installation -> maybe separated in two tags? Should we split the installation tag into seperate tags for the installation of Ubuntu and the installation of software?
- connection to your hearts?
- local food?
- remote control?
- colors red, blue, yellow?
- transparency it depends more in the WM/DM than anything
gridthis tag has been gridded.
- personalization/style/customization this smells like theme so maybe merge? Or retag for the DM/WM/application tag?
viewI can view this tag again.
- preference I prefer not having this tag.
- search seems like we answer questions about how to search stuff, instead of what to use for the search.
- scrolling with what?
- mode /mode hunt-down(crappy & tags)
- I don't want to copy and paste the same text (note to self: there is a text processing tag).
- tools to drive me to madness D:
I know there are more, but I will get depressed if I continue. Also, seems that one meta Q for each tag could be overkill.
I know that if our mods had the ability to do this, I would see the world pink... but is grey, stinks and I don't feel comfortable in it. So, can we compile a bunch of tags that everyone is a-OK to feed Trodor?
If you feel that a tag is useful, please, make an answer and explain your case but over anything answer this three questions:
- Is there already a equivalent tag?
- Are there users that will follow and answer this tags?
- Could the tag be misused or create a problem later?
- Is the tag alone in a question useful in any way?