Moments ago I mistakenly voted a question down, I'd like to undo that action but can't find out how. If I press the up vote button the voting count goes up by two units (which makes sense) but what I need is something like cancel vote. Thanks.

| |
  • click it again. – Joren Sep 24 '13 at 10:10
  • 5
    Click the down vote arrow again. – Alaa Ali Sep 24 '13 at 10:11
  • 1
    If I click the down vote again I get the message: "You last voted on this question 1 hour ago. Your vote is now locked in unless this question is edited". Radu explains the reasons below. Thanks to whomever moved the question to Meta, I wasn't aware of its existence. – Luís de Sousa Sep 24 '13 at 11:38

You can cancel a downvote or upvote only a few seconds after your vote by clicking the downvote or upvote sign again. If more then a few seconds have been past, you can't cancel your vote, only if that question/answer was edited.

So, if you can't cancel your vote anymore, this is the only possibility: find a way to edit somehow that question/answer. If your edit will be accepted, after you can retreat your vote.

| |

Just click the downvote sign again and it should remove the downvote. The same works for upvote button.

| |

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .