I have noticed the use of shortened links like bit.ly, and goo.gl have increased, for a variety of reasons it is not acceptable to use these links in Ask Ubuntu, here is the question on discussing shortened link services:
Reasons for cleaning these links:
- True location of links are hidden
- Stats and location data is collected (way for spam to track users)
- There are easy ways to "shorten" links with markdown maintaining the orginal link in mouse-over, so the primary purpose of these services is defeated.
- Links are not picked up as "broken" when they lead first to the link shortening service.
What I'm suggesting
To help facilitate the cleanup of these links to make the site better here's what I think we should do:
- Find all the links
- Check to make sure a link is alive still (use one of the preview services for safety)
Replace the link with a direct link. Not the preview link, but the original link it leads to.
If the post needs other changes make those edits as well.
bit.ly: https://askubuntu.com/search?q=bit.ly Add
+at end to preview
bit.ly/####+- DONE (only for bit.ly need to expand for other url forms bitly uses, there are many)
tinyurl.com https://askubuntu.com/search?q=tinyurl.com add
http://preview.tinyurl.com/cz23u4DONE (You aren't allowed to use tinyurl anymore as well)
- goo.gl https://askubuntu.com/search?q=goo.gl add
goo.gl/####+DONE (note that there are many question that are following instructions where they were told to wget a goo.gl link, I don't think we should encourage answers with these links, but questions about them should keep the original steps followed)
- is.gd https://askubuntu.com/search?q=is.gd add
-hyphen at end DONE
- tiny.cc https://askubuntu.com/search?q=tiny.cc add
~at end DONE
- bitly.com https://askubuntu.com/search?q=bitly.com add
- j.mp https://askubuntu.com/search?q=j.mp add
+DONE (note: one question was about the links in, so needed to stay)
- t.co https://askubuntu.com/search?q=t.co DONE only one question, that lists link in output, for an example.