I recently saw a username on ask ubuntu where half of it was written backwards. How is that possible?!

  • 3
    ‮‮A Backwards Username?
    – Mateo
    Mar 8, 2013 at 18:15
  • Then there is ben is uǝq backwards.. I don't know how to do it, but it's just a character.
    – Seth
    Mar 8, 2013 at 18:19
  • @mateo_salta: That is freaking awesome.. How did you manage to trick Stack Exchange's Comment System????
    – Aditya
    Mar 8, 2013 at 20:10
  • 1
    @Aditya That is the beauty of U+202e.
    – user98085
    Mar 8, 2013 at 21:33
  • 1
    @Seth Incorrect. That is not a single character but in fact a very fancy usage of various UTF characters that look like a mirrored version of real characters.
    – user98085
    Mar 8, 2013 at 21:35
  • (‮‮(@FEichinger Testing... Did I succeed... Looks like I did... Thanks... @mateo as well
    – Aditya
    Mar 8, 2013 at 21:44
  • ‮I don't know, but I do know that this is normal on my planet...
    – RolandiXor
    Mar 9, 2013 at 0:08

4 Answers 4


There are many such tools on the internet, that consist of using normal text characters to make it "look" like the text it reversed or upside down.

One such one I found here - http://textmechanic.co/Reverse-Text-Generator.html Hit the "Upside Down" button

For example my user name would look like this:


An even better one is this - http://www.sherv.net/flip.html

˙noʎ ǝɹɐ ʍoɥ

You can then put this text in your username by changing it in your profile, click on your username the "edit" on the main site.

enter image description here

tђเร เร ς๏๏l!

  • łı£§!!! æ↓↑ Ł¡«§!!!
    – RolandiXor
    Mar 9, 2013 at 0:11
  • Great answer. For future members, TextMechanic moved from textmechanic.com to textmechanic.co though. May 4, 2015 at 15:50
  • Cool, thanks I put that change in :)
    – Mateo
    May 4, 2015 at 16:55
  • Reminder: username changes are only permitted once per 30 days. May 7, 2015 at 20:02

Writing backwards

Writing backwards, as in the characters being arranged in reversed order (ex. below) is achieved through use of the U+202E character, aka RIGHT-TO-LEFT OVERRIDE. This is used to force right-to-left writing, mostly for languages that are written RTL (although HTML & CSS nowdays support various ways of achieving that without use of U+202E.

... nuf si sdrawkcab gnitirW

Please note that this example does not use U+202E, but only emulates the results.

Doing this has various side-effects. Mostly, it breaks some parts of the layout, as it is an override and as such also affects other text and HTML on the same or deeper levels when it is invoked.

Writing inverted

Writing inverted, as in the characters being flipped upside-down and then mirrored on the vertical axis (ex. below) is achieved through use of various UTF characters that resemble a "normal" character manipulated this way.

ǝɯosǝʍɐ sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ pǝʇɹǝʌuı ʇnq ˙˙˙


˙˙˙oɹq ʇnoqɐ ƃuıʞʃɐʇ ǝɹ,noʎ ʇɐɥʍ ǝnʃɔ ou ǝʌɐɥ I‮



I assume you're referring to ObsessiveSSOℲ who is using unicode to make text "appear" upsidedown. It's not a feature of the site at all and can be done on any site.

  • but how do you do that?
    – MadTux
    Mar 8, 2013 at 18:31
  • I don't normally do this, but you should really use a search engine "How do I write text backwards" Mar 8, 2013 at 18:34
  • 1
    Oops. I wasn't thinking :$
    – MadTux
    Mar 8, 2013 at 21:21
  • "...and can be done on any site." Any site that properly handles multibyte character sets, that is :P May 7, 2015 at 20:03

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .