When a user has only ever previously used the site for trolling, and then they post an answer that looks like it might be a genuine attempt to answer the question, except:
- The answer is not likely to be helpful.
- The answer ignores important information provided prominently in the question.
- As you read the answer, it becomes more and more absurd, until you wonder if perhaps it is a work of satire rather than an attempt to provide any help.
...should such a post be flagged? Or just downvoted?
If it weren't by a known troll, I wouldn't flag it. Lots of bad answers suffer from problems 1 and 2. And 3 is pretty subjective.
Please note that I'm deliberately not identifying the post I'm thinking of, because:
- I'm interested in general guidelines about this, not just applicable to the one post I have in mind.
- If it is trolling, I don't want to publicize it or feed the troll.
- If it's not trolling, I don't want to cause hard feelings by publicly calling out someone's post as "humorously bad."
Of course, I'll certainly provide identifying information about the post that's motivated this question, on request by a moderator.