I suggest we merge one of the tags into the other.
I have found a quiet moment to merge the tags and after some thought I did the following:
- Created a tag for gpu-driver and as a temporary measure filled the tag details in from the older tag video-driver. These details could really do with some editing and updating.
- Merged gpu-drivers into gpu-driver without creating a synonym. This means that all the older tags are renamed now. However this leaves gpu-drivers available for use again. If it is not used and remains empty for 24 hours the system will eat it.
- Merged video-driver into gpu-driver without creating a synonym. This means that all the older tags are renamed now. Again this means that video-driver will be available for use again. If it is not used and remains empty for 24 hours the system will eat it.
Only job for the future is to watch to see if the old tags are reused before the system has a chance to consume them when empty. If they are used it will be simply be a matter of either quietly editing and switching the tags or simply putting a synonym in place.
Thanks Ola Ström for engaging with the community on Meta and getting a change made!!
Thoughts on Merge +/- Synonyms...
@muru asked 'Why not create the synonyms?' so I have added this little section to this answer.
When merging tags there are 2 good choices with some subtle differences: 'Merge with Synonyms' and 'Merge without Synonyms'. A quick description:
- Merge with Synonyms If this is selected the system does not alter tagging of existing questions but simply ensures that all questions will use the new tag, tag info will redirect to the new tag's info. Safest option and one that would most normally be used but not ideal for our example as 2 existing tags are serving the same function and we want to merge both into a new tag.
- Merge without Synonyms If this is selected the old tags are removed throughout the entire system and replaced with the new tag. Perfect for our changes here as both tags have the same purpose throughout the system and can logically both be completely replaced by our new tag. This option would not be all that commonly used.
This information and much more available on my very valuable Moderator Cheat Sheet!!