Alright, so, there are quite a few tags floating around for (roughly) the same thing:
- remote-login - This tag, seeming to currently be for the
remote-login service, but being used for anything remote.
- remote-access - The overarching tag for anything related to remoting in to any machine (SSH, VNC, and so on)
- remote-desktop - A subset of
remote-access, seemingly meant for only graphical solutions.
Ideally, we'd get rid of as many of these tags as possible, which brings me to my proposal here:
- Regarding remote-login, make it clear that it's meant for the legacy
remote-login service. Users who want to ask questions about remote access to their machines should use remote-access.
- Regarding remote-desktop, make it a synonym for remote-access. Access is broader than desktop, and this prevents confusion with Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol.
- Re-tag posts under remote-login to remote-access as necessary. That is, where questions are about general remote access to machines.
Of course, we also have the slew of specific tags, such as ssh, vnc, rdp, and so on. These should be kept around, and should be used in addition to the remote-access tag.
There are rather few questions that I can see about actual
remote-login, but it's still of historical note and is a valid tag in quite a few places, so I don't think it deserves burnination. However, as mentioned above, an update to the tag to show that it's unmaintained and is only to be used for the service would be a good idea.