I was looking at the numerous cases in a search of people having sound issues, especially with 14.04, and I was wondering if I could create a little Q&A FAQ (community wiki) about it?
- Speakers intermittently work, with no apparent pattern.
- Headphones always work.
- Re-installing anything has no effect.
- Re-configuring PulseAudio has no effect, regardless of configuration.
Another common one is broken sound under Realtek cards, where this is a known bug with a known workaround (link will be found).
I have a few lists of question links that I will point to this Q&A, followed by others as I find them.
List of possible bug issues so far:
- https://askubuntu.com/q/466627 (I already have a pointer to the relevant bug)
- https://askubuntu.com/a/466627/258567 (accepted answer of mine, helpful addition)
- audio driver not supported in linux 14.04
- lost sound ubuntu 14.04, tried everything
- No sound devices or input devices (Ubuntu 14)
Realtek hardware issue: