I've worked in IT for about 30 years (since 1980) starting when I was doing research at university and got the role of Computer Manager in the Physics department. I've been at IT Manager for much of my career, but in recent years have done more software development (SQLserver, C#, VB.Net, MVC, ASP, etc) than IT administration. I've also been a Project Manager (Prince 2) and a software development manager.
Most of my professional work has been with Microsoft operating systems (currently Windows 8 at home) but I've kept up an interest in Linux throughout.
At home, in addition to several Windows laptops, I currently maintain 2 systems running Linux. Both is running Debian + MythTV; one is used a Personal Video Recorder and general filestore (it has about 9.5Tb of disks attached). The other just acts as a player and alternates between Debian, for MythTV, and Windows 7, for iPlayer, BlinkBox, etc; it connects only by a WiFi connection which is configure to start before login so it also holds the essential config backup from the main server. Both use HD TVs as monitors. In the past, I've configured my home systems to use soft RAID (md devices) and currently have the PVR system using LVM as it allows partitions to span drives (and is easily reconfigurable when I need a bit more space).
I'd like to do a bit more with Android as I have a couple of tablets - my phones are a Blackberry and an iPhone! - and also get back to my Astronomy hobby (I haven't had my telescope out for a couple of years!
Married, with several cats, but no kids!
Top Network Posts
- 16How do I copy a folder keeping owners and permissions intact?
- 15How can I set my default shell to start up tmux
- 14How to remove only the content of directories?
- 14How are the programs in /bin directory compiled into a non-readable format?
- 13Accidentally deleted tmp folder
- 13How to use a real partition with Windows 7 installed, in a virtualbox vm?
- 13Why is Linux NFS server implemented in the kernel as opposed to userspace?
- View more network posts →